I think you’ve all caught on that fitness is a big part of my life, so I’m pretty pumped to share this guest post with you! Keep reading for Brittany’s Bridal Boot Camp from My Own Balance — and her tips for getting in shape for your wedding!
Hi all! I’m so excited to be here guest posting today! I met Caitlin back when we were in college and in the same dance company. I can’t believe how long ago that was now! It seems like yesterday!
Dancing evolved naturally for me into a passion for fitness. It is part of my lifestyle and I love blogging about my adventures in fitness and healthy living at MyOwnBalance.com. As a fitness blogger, one of the biggest questions I get asked is how do I get in shape for my wedding? We all want to look great on our big day, so I’ve put together a few tips on how to look your very best when you say “I do.”
1) Make a schedule. The number one rule of bridal boot camp is schedule it in! With everything that is going on in your life right now it will be easy to brush off your workouts, especially if you have to think too hard about what to do. Schedule in your workouts every week and stick with them.
2) Try some new classes or a trainer. One of the quickest ways to get in shape is to confuse your muscles by trying something new. Pick an activity that is challenging and will push you to your limits. HIIT and tabata training are both extremely effective forms of interval training that are focused on pushing to your max efforts and with short recovery periods. Barre classes work your muscles until fatigue, while working with a trainer ensures someone will push you pass your limits. It doesn’t really matter what you do as long as it is challenging for you.
3) Squeeze in some double sessions. Sweating twice a day is a great way to kick your metabolism into gear and really see results. A word of caution, don’t schedule a super intense workout both in the morning and in the evening. Instead try doing a yoga sequence when you wake up and then go to a spin class after work. Or try Zumba in the morning and then 10 to 20 minutes of strength in the evening. Be sure to incorporate rest days and don’t repeat double sessions every single day.
4) Strength train. There is a common misconception that cardio is the best form of exercise for women and the more cardio you do the more weight you will lose. In fact, your muscles continue to burn fat much longer after a strength session than a cardio session. This means that the best way to lose weight and look toned is to add in some strength sessions to your routine. I recommend targeting arms, shoulders, back, abs, legs and seat, which will ensure you look great in your dress and on your honeymoon. Lifting heavy weights will not bulk you up but if you prefer lighter weights, try a barre class, which relies on low weights, high reps and working muscles to fatigue.
5) Purchase some DVDs. Between work, wedding planning and trying to maintain some semblance of a normal life it can be so easy for workouts to hit the back burner. Invest in a few good DVD options so you have something on hand and ready to go when you are at home. Even 15 minutes is better than nothing! A few of my favorites are TurboFire, Jillian Michael’s Body Revolution, Physique 57 and Zumba. There are a ton of great options out there so just read a few reviews to find the right one for you!
6) Rest. This is the most important tip! Without rest your body can’t recover and the change you want to see won’t happen. All your hard work will pay off once you’ve allowed your body to rest and recover.
Remember, your diet will play a huge part in your results. You can’t expect to look great eating cheeseburgers everyday. There is no need to crash diet though! Make sure you are eating balanced meals containing whole grains, lean protein, low-fat dairy and tons of fruits and vegetables. Counting calories may also be effective for you, just make sure you are getting the right amount! If you are too crazed with wedding planning to even think about cooking nutritious meals, try a meal delivery service. I used Diet-to-Go for my wedding and found that it worked great. Another option is to use a meal prep service like Blue Apron, Plated or Hello Fresh, which provides you with fresh ingredients that you cook up to create a healthy meal.
Commitment, hard work and keeping your eyes on the prize will help you look your very best on your wedding day! Be confident with your body and your results and know that your spouse-to-be is going to love the way you look no matter what!
Thanks for the awesome tips, Brittany! For more fitness fun, be sure to check out Brittany’s blog, My Own Balance.